Welcome, TACA family to week 4 of the Weekend Jumpstart Series! It is our hope that this series will encourage you, put new ideas in your kitchen tool box, and give you the inspiration to take the leap into diet changes for your family. We know that along the journey diet changes can be challenging—but we also know how valuable the diet is for our kids.
This week is all about hiding the good nutritious things so that our kids are getting the nutrients they need, without the struggle at the dinner table.
Diet research on the GFCF Diet showed 65% of children with autism improved on the diet. ¹
Before we jump into the recipe this week, we want to encourage you with a story from one of our families: “Since we’ve started the GFCF diet, he rarely gets sick. He gets a few colds, but has no gut issues like he used to have. Why do I think we’re having success? Well, one of the best treatments was the GFCF diet and removing sugar.” Hagen’s Mom²
So now take a few minutes, watch the video and try a new recipe this week!! We think you are going to LOVE it! Post pictures on your social media and tag TACA in your picture and use the hashtag: #TalkAutismDiet
Chicken Zucchini Boats:
2 cups cooked and shredded organic chicken (from about 1 lb)
4 medium organic zucchini (2 1/2 lbs), sliced in half length wise
1 1/2 Tbsp olive oil
1/2 cup finely chopped sweet onion
2 cloves garlic
1 (15 oz) organic tomato sauce
1 Tbsp chili powder
2/3 cup water
1 1/2 tsp cornstarch or arrowroot
1 cup Daiya cheese
Salt & pepper to taste
Optional for serving: diced Roma tomatoes
1) Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2) Slice zucchini length wise in half, scoop center of zucchini into a bowl leaving approximately ¼ inch rim. Brush tops and bottoms with olive oil and place in baking dish. Bake zucchini in preheated oven until tender for about 20-30 minutes (until slightly brown on edges and soft.)
3) Heat remaining oil in large sauce pan over medium to high heat. Once hot, add in onion and
saute until soft. Add garlic and saute 1-2 minutes. Remove from heat, add tomato sauce, chilli powder, salt and pepper. Wisk in water, arrowroot or corn starch until well blended. Bring mixture to light boil stirring constantly for approximately 1 minute until sauce thickens.
4) Reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes and stir occasionally. Stir in cooked chicken.
5) Remove zucchini from oven and spoon in chicken mixture into zucchini boats. Sprinkle with Daiya cheese on top.
6) Return and bake 5-10 minutes until Daiya cheese is melted. Serve with optional diced tomatoes.
Yield: 8 Zucchini boats (feeds 4-6 people) – freezes wonderfully
We want to thank Autism Live
and Well Amy
for their continued support in making these recipes and videos possible. If you are looking to start a GFCFSF diet we would encourage you to check out all they have to offer in resourcing!
Have a great weekend, friends!